Informed Patient Consent – Summary Care Records
OOverview of SCR ~ (Summary Care Record)
Summary Care Records (SCRs) are an electronic record of key information from a patient’s GP practice. Over 96% of people registered with a GP practice in England (55 million people) now have a Summary Care Record. The benefits include improvements in patient safety and experience and in the efficiency and effectiveness of patient care.
SCRs are viewed in a wide variety of care settings including:
- Acute Trusts (both unscheduled and scheduled care)
- GP Practices
- GP Out of Hours services
- Walk in Centres
- Urgent Treatment Centres
- Minor Injury Units
- Mental Health
- Community Pharmacy
- Custody Suites
SCRs contain the ‘core’ dataset of medication, allergies and adverse reactions.
SCR’s are optional but the national opt out rate remains low at 1.4% and a patient can change their mind at any time simply by contacting their GP practice.
Patients can also choose whether they wish to share the core data in the SCR only or whether they wish to have an enriched SCR i.e. include important additional information from their GP record.
We can now offer you an Enriched SCR
Benefits of ENRICHED SCR’s
Increased patient safety by providing timely access to information such as significant diagnoses, significant medical history past and present, patient preferences for resuscitation, power of attorney, communication preferences, end of life care information
- The patient can choose to add more information if they feel it is necessary
- Empowers the patient as they can make preferences known
- Increased efficiency in treating a patient anywhere in the world at any time of day
- The Enriched information is quickly available to healthcare staff who already routinely access SCR’s
- Results of Tests, x-rays or procedures done at one hospital can be accessed by the clinicians at other healthcare facilities to improve your care
Please let us know your preference by letter – verbally – Patient access messages or by email to email@example.com
- Opt out
- Consent to a SCR
- Consent to an Enriched SCR
For further information visit the following sites
Enriched Summary care record information